Sunday, February 15, 2015

What's for breakfast?

Sometimes the easiest way to introduce a new food into an unhealthy nutrition practice is to "wedge in fiber".  My patients don't need an extra hour of food 101 and they can figure out what along the periphery of the grocery store has fiber in it-fruits, veggies and grain.  Personally I have tried to move away from cereal and bread.  I did do a gluten fast last year for about 2 months to experience what my patients go through and it was not too bad.  Took a little planning ahead but truthfully, this is mindful eating.  To have what I call a healthy nutrition practice really takes planning your meals for a day or two ahead.  If you wait and try to satisfy last minute hunger cravings, the tsunami of hormones released by the brain to hunt for quick energy sources will drive you to the closest fast food chain.  "Just this once", "I'll make up for it tomorrow", "I deserve it"......there is never an excuse good enough to trump- "Should have planned ahead".  I have Go-Bags ready to go if something comes up and I can't prep my meals for the day.  My bug-out meals are very no frills but satisfies my calorie requirements for the day and reminds me of the importance in prepping flavorful meals for the next day.







I used to move more toward "whole grain" or "multi grain" bread instead of the Wonder White Bread from my childhood, but realizing that most of the brown colored bread "grain" breads are just white breads with molasses for coloring.  Even as I pay more attention to the healthy breakfast cereals that come in smaller boxes with Non GMO or Organic labels....sugar and carbohydrate content is still sky high.




NON GMO
NON GMO/Organic


My son's morning pick me up

Sugar/high glycemic index foods/healthy wrapping.         Sugar/High GI/kid wrapping

One of the good premises of the PALEO diet (popularized by Lorain Cordain) is that is cuts out sugar, white flour and refined carbohydrates.  Unfortunately it also cuts out whole grains which I believe are helpful for fiber, lignans and some B vitamins.  Likewise, no beans or legumes.....of which tempe, edamame, tofu and miso are excellent sources of plant protein found in the Okinawan diet, one of the highest concentrations of centenarians on the planet.

Going to a non pulverized grain is probably easy to find since you have to work with it.  Clean and rinse, boil, then toast or sauté in oil/garlic to bring out an olive oil kinda nutty flavor with a hint of garlic.  This with a protein source (fish/egg/tofu/lean meat) makes me satiated. So regarding finding a grain source....my Dad's oatmeal with some fruit in the am is not satisfying to me.  I am used to eating with Jasmine rice so switching over to another whole grain source is easy.  I think if you are used to eating cereal, McMuffins, Donuts, Croissants with a 20oz coffee splashed with dairy....it will be a tough switch.  Bottom line is it has to start somewhere, 30-40 years of living the same way have put most Americans in the predicament of Pre Diabetes, High Cholesterol, White Coat Hypertension or the largest waistlines on the planet.  Get used to eating healthful meals and sleep will be better: get used to sleeping better and work solving skills will improve: get more efficient with work and more free time will open up: with more free time you can develop a form of recreation therapy: with more activity you won't crave crappy food. The circle of life.

Clockwise from Black=Forbidden Rice, Millet, Farrow, Tricolored Quinoa, Buckwheat, Spelt, Barley Hulled
Center =Hemp, Jasmine Rice