Friday, October 12, 2007

My allergy medicines aren't working anymore

I was walking through my favorite store that I will keep anonymous, they sell a wide variety or supplements, cooked and whole food. Was talking to a rep for one of the companies that makes omega 3 and couldn't help but notice he had a very nasal sounding voice, a reddish hue to the center of his face and most of all he was set up so the aromatherapy and incense was directly across the aisle from him. I did spend some time inquiring about his product and he answered well, (I usually like to listen intently on how a rep sells his/her product and what basic knowledge they have before I tell them I am a physician and that I use herbal products for myself and my patients). All during this time I try not to focus on his nose but my mind automatically pictures me checking his nostrils in the office with a nasal speculum.......(sometimes this triggered response I have to ordinary situations scares me). I will be talking to someone at a party or chance meeting and while conversing, my mind wanders about a working diagnosis for what I see before me. Anyway, after he is finished and gives me some samples and a dvd (love freebies!) I point to the elderberry in my basket and say to him, "you may need some of this for the rest of the week". He acknowledges and states he is already on Zyrtec (an antihistamine that some how states it is the best thing for cats, cigarette smoke and plant allergie;, although it isn't the substance exposed to, but more the person that is having the histamine reaction we must try to control) and nasonex (A steroid nasal spray that controls local response in the nose only). He had some cat fur on his sweater and after I asked, wouldn't you guess....he has 3 cats that supposedly didnt go in his room at night. Wouldn't that be great if pet dander, pollen and dust mites would stay in areas of the house where they are supposed to stay! When I was in practice, patients with nasal symptoms who had all the classic signs of allergies would usually tell me they were tested and the allergist stated they have no problems with cats, dogs or milk. I still believe that several small allergens all together at the same time will still have the body act in the same way as one big exposure to a single allergen. So with this person, same theory in the "Saguil Approach" goes; if placed on a medicine, it would be as a temporary measure at best. These folks are placed on meds and not told to do much with the environment around them or their diet. Just like echinacea is supposed to be used for short term only, the perscription medicines should be used short term only.
Other herbal medicines are stinging nettles (a favorite or Dr Weil) and butterbur. If things progress over the allergy line and into the infection stage.....all the above continue and then I like andrographis (paniculata), garlic, quercetin, mushroom extract(reishi, cordyceps, shitake) elderberry is a great alternative for kids. Many times in the ER we see kids that are sick but all tests and evaluations yeild nothing to treat so we say go home and wait....well this is where I think alternative medicine excels.

For extinguishing allergic response, there are the typical shots we give to desensitize the patients over a course of a few months. Essentially giving the patients micro amounts of what they are allergic to every week to have the white blood cells(eosinophils) take a little at a time and hopefully learn that the compound is not irritating. Increasing the amount every few weeks will "desensitize" the patient after a while. Immunologists say they have great response but I guess I see a different portion of the population, most of the "average joes" that come into the office are obviously sick and allergic and still getting shots. (Sometimes I see patients that have been getting shots for years!) Usually, these kids have been taken off gluten, casein and wheat already-god bless those parents for being so tolerant to the problem. I have found homeopathy is great at allergies especially since their concept is based on slow exposure to a substance in order to change an eventual reaction the body manifests.

In summary, "Saguil Approach"-
take care of the environment around you
change the pets diet (possibly to human grade meat)
change the pet
vacuum and dust sunday and thursday
allergen central air filter (3M)
alot of fluid for you
spray the nose with saline douche 3-4 times a day
echinacea or stinging nettels- 1 month before allergy season
zyrtec, clarinex, claritin, allegra, asteline if above doesnt work
avoid direct contact with sick people -hand shakes,hugs,kisses,pens
cut down animal protein, no dairy (but take a calcium/vit d3 pill)
add garlic and ginger
elderberry, andrographis, quercetin, mushroom extract
homeopathy drops to desensitize, doctor to look into leaky gut
allergist to test and consider shots and try to avoid long term steroid!

oh...puffs plus or tissue with moisturizer added to prevent abrasion to the nose.